Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Fantasieschliffe





I am bewildered by these examples of fantasy cut or sculptured gemstones. The craftsmen and women who do this kind of work are extremely skilled lapidarists, understanding the unique properties and tendencies of each stone to cleave, refract light, etc. Can you imagine having one of these stones custom set in a ring?! I can - I think it would be mighty nice.

See more images of gemstone carvings by American Bart Curren here. And if you are really interested, you can check out this book about the father of fantasieschliffe and his family, the Munsteiners of Germany.

3 comments:

Victorious Youth said...

Thank you for sharing. These are stunning visually and conceptually!

Liane said...

These are mesmerizing. The colors come off so brilliantly. I was staring at them and couldn't figure out what they were. They look like origami figures or poured metal. I think they make nice miniature sculptures as is. I would totally have one set in a ring, too. Talk about statement piece!

Em said...

Very interesting! I had never seen these before. In a way, it reminds me of naturally occurring herkimer crystals.

Post a Comment