Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Old family photos of new babies

Top: Paternal Great grandma Mamie holding Grandpa Fred, 1906
Bottom: Paternal Grandpa Fred & Grandma Miriam holding my dad, 1943

Maternal Great-great grandma Ollie holding her first child, ca. 1903
Maternal Great grandpa Sam holding baby Frank w/ my grandma Velma squinting, ca. 1930

As you may already know, I am pretty serious about genealogy. Because of this I've become the keeper of many of my family photos. This is a great honor and huge pleasure for me, as you can imagine. Recently I've been looking through them, thinking about how many people - their lives, their hard work, their DNA, etc. - are going to be a part of our baby. When I found these photos - some of them over 100 years old - of my ancestors holding the family babies, I was especially moved. All of the people in these photos, except my Grandma Miriam who is almost 96, are gone now. I am glad that we will be adding a new branch to the family tree soon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to do some kind of collage for the baby's room? That would be so fun!

Melissa Righero said...

So great that you get to have all these. Look at all the proud mamas and papas in your family past.

Maria Casteel said...

my favorite is the second one. so much emotion.
and well, rad clothes.

Wild Tea Party said...

What lovely photos to have Duff. I'm quite jealous as all the photos of my mums side before my mum are pretty much gone. My great grandmas house burnt down, taking all the photos with it. My gran only has photograph of her brother who died WWII and it's from his service records. Thankfully my grandpa was an avid photographer so from 16 onwards I have photos galore of my gran.

Jen said...

AMAZING!! I love this. I am the keeper of the family photos now, too. It is such a great honor, isn't it? These photographs are wonderful. Also, Grandpa Fred was a looker! :)

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

These are fabulous! I love the expression on Baby Fred's face. And Adult Fred had great hair!

Anneke said...

this post is so great but makes me sad at the same time. i had a lot of old family photos, but lost a large part of them in a very stupid way earlier this year.. thinking about it still makes me feel awful.

Kristin said...

I love old family photos. I just got tons of digital photos from my uncle last year. I love them. It shows you where you came from.

Post a Comment